Leukaemia and L...
Posted by

Acute Myeloid Leukaemia, a year on - Amit Gupta

Leukaemia and L...
Posted by
03 Oct 2012

Amit Gupta is the founder of photography website Photojojo and the brains behind Jelly.

He was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia in September 2011. Now, a year on, he has written a blog entry about the journey he has taken since his diagnosis:

"One year ago today my doctor called me in the afternoon.

I was in bed. He cleared his throat a couple times and then he told me the reason I’d been feeling weak, seeing weird blindingly bright spots in my vision, and had a fever that wouldn’t go away was because my blood was full of ineffective, malformed white blood cells.

I had AML leukemia. If I did nothing, I’d die in a few weeks.

A few hours later, I had a flight to the East Coast booked for early the next morning. I spent the night in a San Francisco hospital getting blood transfusions and antibiotics to allow me to fly.

I landed in NYC, my parents picked me up, and we drove to Yale’s Smilow Cancer Hospital. When they started pumping cell-killing poison into my bloodstream, the hospital became my home and my prison for the next few months.

I cried. I felt sorry for myself. I didn’t believe it was true.

Friends banded together and started drives across the country, then across the globe. I did interview after interview. Newspapers, TV, and radio helped spread the word. Facebook, twitter, and tumblr got people to drives. I couldn’t leave the hospital, and sometimes I was throwing up too much or too weak to talk. We kept going..." Continue reading...

Donate now to help fund our life-saving research into AML




I wish you all the luck in the world fighting theis dreadful disease. I lost my beloved husband of 30 years to AML. the day he was due to start his pre transplant chemo he had relapsed for a second time. He was so close and yet do far. My thoughts are with you and your family xxx


Amit - I'm absolutely delighted for you and I wish you the very best of luck. My poor dad at the age of 75 died within 7 week of diagnosis. It was too late for a second opinion or any other approach. Keep fighting the good fight. xx


April Fools day 1998 my husband, father of my 3 young children was diagnosed with CML, some joke!! After 6months of treatment on 5th october he was admitted into Addenbrookes hospital 1 week later he had a stem cell tranplant donated by his sister( perfect match) 4 weeks later he was home.
He is one of the lucky ones, its been a struggle with hiccups along the way but 14 yrs later he's still with us, we joke now & tell him he's 52 on the outside & 14 on the inside, he's always had a positive outlook, nobody ever tells you that although the illness has gone it never actually leaves.
My heart goes out to those who have lost somebody. to you & those that are still fighting be like my husband stay strong & positive dont let it win.
much love xx