Rebecca J
Posted by

Burnin' Up

Rebecca J
Posted by
12 Jul 2014


Hey everyone :)
So today has been a very lazy day and I have yet to do one productive thing but don’t judge as that is what Sundays are for! My one achievement is that my neutrophils have increased from 0.1 to a jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring and heart-warming… 0.2. This is totally normal though and at least it shows that my levels are going up!

Excellent news on the bone marrow results too- there is no evidence of leukemic cells left in my spinal fluid which is a BIG RELIEF! The sting in the tail is that if the labs in Bristol can’t find a genetic marker to pinpoint, they’ll go back to my bone marrow test from day 9 of treatment which was full of leukemic cells. This means my treatment would be based on those results and take longer, despite the fact that the more recent bone marrow proves I am clear of most of the cells. Its a mad protocol!

One thrilling event of today was the fire alarm being set off. In a hospital ward if the fire alarm goes, the wards next door and above and below also get flashing lights and a noise to warn them in case it is a real danger, so I had got used to the false alarms due to toast being overdone in the adult ward next door. Assuming it was indeed a falsie and knowing that security would come and confirm, switch the alarms off and halt the brigade I carried on napping.

Unbeknownst to me, my friend Ed from room 1 had burnt his sausages by leaving the oven on the wrong setting and the kitchen was filled with smoke! Some actual firemen arrived and assessed the situation- we are all safe, but in an isolated ward no windows can be opened. This is where the problem lies: how do they get the smoke out? If they open the kitchen door smoke will seep into the ward and set off every alarm in every room!
I haven’t actually been out to see what is happening, but the bursts of walkie-talkie communication make it seem like I am in a Casualty christmas special which is all very dramatic!
Those poor burnt sausages are currently lying in the kitchen sink and it’s going to smell in there for a while but I feel sorry for Ed- he sounded suitably humiliated talking to the nurses and I don’t know what he can do for lunch now- dad cleverly pointed out that the charred remains are definitely in-ED-ible (if you’ll pardon the pun!)

I’ll spare your Sunday lunches and my dignity by not going into particular detail, but I’ve started to feel quite tired and ill in waves during the day now. On one side this a good thing because it makes the whole situation seem more real. I actually feel like a cancer patient now but feeling rubbish is pretty naff! Just wanted to warn you as if it seems like I am neglecting the blog or ignoring comments it is only because I am spending the majority of my time lying in bed resting my head! When I started to feel tired I suddenly realised that NO, I don’t have to be in the shower at 9am getting ready for a busy day! NO, I don’t have to put on a nice outfit; comfy tracksuit bottoms will do just fine! And NO, I don’t have to have tutoring if I am not up for it! I missed a Biology session (which secretly I was glad about as it is quite hard work learning the new stuff not in an actual A level class) and on Thursday I was too weak to do my Psychology session which was mildly irritating, but now I know that it’s ok if I feel rubbish and can’t handle it.
That’s all folks, bye for now!


Make a donation

I would like to give...