Last week in the lead up to Mothering Sunday, GP, mother of three and TV presenter Dr Dawn Harper provided her top 5 tips on talking to a child about serious illness. We hope you find them useful and look out for more top tips and Q&A sessions from us in the future.
1) Pick a quiet moment without distractions for you or your child
2) Allow enough time to talk in as much depth as the need
3) Explain what you have to say in a way they can understand
4) Be honest but always give positive news too
5) Leave the "door open" so that they come back with questions when they have had a chance to digest the information