The Hadrian's Wall Challenge
Join our Bloodwise challenge team and be part of a community of thousands taking on events all around the country, for one common goal: beating blood cancer. Every stride you take and every penny you raise will help us stop people dying, make patients' lives better and stop people getting blood cancer in the first place.
Cycle and walk the whole length of historic Hadrian's Wall in three days! The route passes through some of Northern England's most beautiful scenery. The terrain varies between the peaceful Solway Firth, the bustling cities of Carlisle and Newcastle, and the wild mountain scenery of the central section of the wall – a combination of impressive scenery to keep you motivated throughout. Plus you get to visit the historic sites along the route!
The walking is along the wall from Greenhead to Brocolitia and the cycling is primarily along the Hadrian’s Wall cycle route, which combines low-traffic country roads with off-road sections.
To do this trip you don’t need previous mountaineering experience, however you need to have a certain level of fitness; the fitter you are the more you will enjoy your day. We recommend that you follow a fitness plan in preparation for your challenge, an example of one will be sent to you when you have confirmed your booking.
The cycling days will cover 40-45 miles and will take about 6-8 hours. There are comparatively few steep hills on the route: you will be walking the steeper sections. The walking day covers about 15 miles of quite rugged terrain and will take up to 7-8 hours.
- Three day itinerary: 100 miles in total: approx. 40 miles of cycling; 15 miles of walking; 45 miles of cycling.
- Guiding included.
- Three nights’ twin room hotel accommodation
- Transfer vehicle for luggage and bikes when not used.
- Walk in the footsteps of Roman soldiers and cycle visiting a series of towers, mile castles and forts.
- Non-refundable registration fee payable at time of booking - £199
- Self-funded payment option: £199 registration fee + £400 due 10 weeks before departure
- Minimum sponsorship pledge option: £199 registration fee + £800 minimum fundraising target, 50% to be raised before departure
- Three nights’ twin room accommodation in a good quality B&B or hotel with ensuite or private bathroom and breakfast (single rooms available at a supplement of £45 per person per night)
- Qualified mountain leaders on walk day
- Qualified cycle guides on cycling days
- Transfers from point of arrival and point of departure as well as during the trip to the start and finish points of your walks
- Baggage and cycle equipment transfer. (This is limited to 1 bag per person, however extra bags can be transferred at a small supplement)
- Qualified first aiders
- Option to use your own bike (mountain or trail bike)
- Briefing, route planning and equipment check to ensure you have everything you need to fully enjoy the following days
- There are also optional extras you can choose when booking, including bike hire and a single room option.
The Hadrian’s Wall Cycle-Walk-Cycle is available every month from April to October, scheduled to run Thursday to Sunday. You can join as an individual or any size group, and if you have a group of eight or more participants Maximum Adventure offer the challenge to you exclusively on any date of your choice! Please talk to Maximum Adventure for specific requirements.