Health and safety

03 Jan 2015

First Aid

Check in with medical professionals St John’s Ambulance about what level of First Aid your event may need. Criteria usually include:

  • Number of people
  • Type of event
  • Location
  • Weather
  • Other risks involved


If your event involves the public (as with a local Bikeathon, for example), you’ll need Public Liability Insurance. Check with your venue, as you may be covered there, however we may also be able to have you covered if not. Email your Regional contact to find out more.


You may need different licences for different aspects of your event such as alcohol or erecting structures (such as marquees). Check with your local authority to see if this applies. Check here for more information about street collection licences and licences for raffles and lotteries.

Risk assessment

It’s always wise to carry out a risk assessment, whatever the event, and if you intend to be covered by either our or your venue’s Public Liability Insurance, it’s also a legal requirement. You can download a template of our Risk Assessment, complete it and then email it to your Regional contact.

If you’re ever unsure on what you need for health and safety requirements, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Make a donation

I would like to give...