A swishing clothes swap party is a great way to update your wardrobe with your friends pre-loved clothes. Charge an entry of £5 or £10 or set a price for every swap. Did you know, the average UK household owns around £4,000 worth of clothes?!
- Choose a date and time for your event, and book the venue. Start spreading the word - create a Facebook event, put up posters, tell everyone!
- Beg, borrow or hire an appropriate number of hanging rails (and hangers). Work out where you can create a changing area, and source some full length mirrors. If you think there'll be a lot of clothes, consider how to separate different clothing sizes on your rails. Collect carrier bags for people to use to take away their items.
- All items should be freshly laundered, ironed, and in good repair. Ask people to bring them on hangers. Shoes and accessories should be brought in boxes, if possible.
- Grab refreshments. If you hire a venue, any supply of alcohol (even if offered free with the ticket price) will require a Temporary Event Notice. Submit your application to your local council at least ten working days before your event. Set up a pre-event clothing drop-off if possible - ask people to leave their name and email address with their items, in order to collect their vouchers or points card on the night.
- On the night, lay out the rails, tables, clothing items and refreshments. Allow half an hour at the start for guests to arrive and hand over remaining clothes. Allow 15 minutes for people to browse the rails and see what items they might like to swap - no items can be taken during this time. Then, explain the rules again before declaring the swish open. Guests swish and try on items, placing unwanted items back on the rails.
- Be sure to thank all your supporters and let them know how much the event raised!
We'd love to hear from you if you'd like to set up your own Swishing party, please drop us an email.