Updated 25 Mar 2020

Worried about Coronavirus? Visit our Coronavirus hub for the latest information and advice.

Being told your child has acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) is likely to be extremely upsetting and there’s a lot of support you – and those close to you – might need at various stages.

As well as medical information about your child’s condition, other information will be important – such as advice and support on telling people, looking after you and your family’s emotional needs and your child’s physical needs, and practical advice about things like finances.

> You'll find information below and in our Living with and beyond childhood leukaemia section

Where to get help and support

Many people affected by blood cancer find it useful to call on the expert information, advice and support offered by a variety of organisations, including ourselves. Here are some we recommend.


We offer patient information online and in free printed booklets, and have an online community you may like to join.

We can help with practical and emotional support and signpost you to other available services.

Macmillan Cancer Support

Offers practical, medical, financial and emotional support.

CancerHelp UK (Cancer Research UK’s patient support service)

Offers information about different conditions, current research and practical support.

Leukaemia Care

Offers patient information, a 24 hour care line and support groups for people affected by leukaemia, lymphoma, myeloma, myelodysplastic syndromes, myeloproliferative neoplasms and aplastic anaemia.

Children with Cancer

Provides practical support for young cancer patients and their families.

Teenage Cancer Trust

Provides specialist units and nurses for children and teenagers with cancer. They also have an education team that visit schools and raise awareness of cancer and provide a support network for the patient and families and friends to meet others in a similar situation.

CLIC Sargent

Provides clinical, practical, financial and emotional support to help young patients and their families.

The Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group

Brings together healthcare specialists who care for children with cancer and also offers support and information to parents.

Financial advice

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Offers advice on benefits and help with filling out benefits forms.

Department for Work & Pensions (DWP)

Responsible for social security benefits. Provides information and advice about public services including financial support, rights and employment.


Travel insurance

Macmillan Cancer Support

Provides information about what to consider when looking for travel insurance. It also has a list of insurance companies recommended by people affected by cancer.

Association of British Insurers (ABI)

Provides information about getting travel insurance and contact details for specialist travel companies.

British Insurance Broker’s Association (BIBA)

Offers advice on finding an appropriate BIBA-registered insurance broker.

Patient Information Forum member NHS Information Standard certified member